Nutrition for kids is based on the same principles as nutrition for adults. Everyone needs the same type of nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, protein and fat.
Children, however, need different amounts of specific nutrients at different ages.
Some nutrient rich foods and tips to consider:
- Seafood, lean meat and poultry, eggs, beans.
- Encourage your child to eat a variety of fresh fruits — rather than fruit juice. Your child should only drink a 100% pure fruit juice, no added sugars.
- Serve a variety of fresh vegetables. Aim to provide a variety of vegetables, including beans and peas, starchy and others, each week.
- Choose whole grains, such as whole-wheat bread, oatmeal.
- Encourage your child to eat and drink fat-free or low-fat dairy products, such as milk, yogurt, and cheese.
- Encourage your child to drink plenty of water during the day. Cut out fizzy or sugary drinks as much as possible for refreshing water.